No, I Haven't Lost It

I've been involved in a discussion about the law of attraction! Have I taken leave of my senses? Well maybe not quite yet. Let me tell you how it all started...

I did a post on this blog a little while ago called More Lives Than a Cat, which was a follow-up to an earlier post, The Doomsday Device. These two posts were intended to be an opportunity for me to examine some of the aspects of quantum theory and the scientific inferences and thought-experiments that arise from the theory.

Much of it was pretty weird, though it was, and this is the point, a scientific look at quantum theory. It isn't long before you find yourself talking about the role of the observer, and things like consciousness.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I noticed that the Adsense near the post had switched to an ad for quantum theory law of attraction. I was intrigued by this. So I went on to Blog Catalog and asked a general question about it. The discussion that came out of it was rather fascinating.

I still can't understand how anyone can say that quantum theory and law of attraction are in any way connected (it's a bit like saying that weather forecasting and fortune telling are connected) but the discussion gave me some ideas, which in turn led to some insights, which I'll tell you about in the next post. The insights are about science (not fortune telling!), or rather, about the philosophy of science.

No comments: